Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Don't Let the Fruit Go Bad: Peach Salsa: Recipe

I am notorious in my household for overbuying in the supermarket. I can't seem to help myself - and come on, you can't tell me I'm alone here. I know it's not true! Seriously, I have learned that my husband spends about $50-$75 less than I do when he shops. Why? Because he goes with the list of items I outline and only purchases items on the list. Me? Well, I get inspired along the aisles or I stock up on sale items or I buy certain things to replace them when most of the time I already have them. And, I shop in the market the same way each and every time so I tend to fall for the same triggers...The fresh foods always look so inviting, don't they? And I have such good intentions! I say, "Oh! I need fresh fruit so I can be a good mom" And I put the fresh fruit in the bowl on the kitchen table when I get home but days pass and I see the things I purchased as they begin to turn. Or worse! The vegetables that I purchase and put into that drawer in the fridge? Oh forget it! I never see those again! So don't follow my lead on this one - only buy what you need.

When I was setting the table for dinner tonight and was about to move the fruit bowl off the table, I realized I had a perfectly ripe avocado sitting next to two beautiful white peaches (the actual flesh is white as opposed to the traditional "peach-orange" color) whose flavor seems to me to be much richer, milder and sweeter than a normal peach. So in a quick hurry I made a salsa to accompany the Cinnamon-Spice Rubbed Pork Chops whose recipe is on the blog (somewhere). It was a refreshing juxtaposition to the spice of the pork.

I try hard to focus on varying colors in what I make so that dishes are visually appealing as well as tasty. And I also try to vary the texture so that your mouth is surprised in each bite. It really did take just a few minutes to make and it was plenty for my husband and I and the kids liked it, too! And I felt as though I had done a very good thing by using up the fresh fruit before it went bad.

Peach Salsa

* Be sure to use ripe fruit for optimal flavor

2 White Peaches, washed and cubed (keep skin on)
1 Avocado, pitted and cubed
Juice of 1 lime
2 Tbls. Cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 cucumber, washed well and skin kept on, seeded and chopped**

** to seed a cucumber, slice it lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, stir once or twice.


No comments: