Search This Blog

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Chicken Provencal: Recipe


One thing I like to do is alter recipes. When I see a recipe that sounds interesting to me, I often consider the permutations and then go with one, as long as I understand the basic cooking instructions. Recently I saw a recipe in the Williams-Sonoma catalogue that looked wonderful but I wanted to make it "my own." I made a few minor alterations and the flavors were fantastic! This was a simple dish to create, which has become a really important thing to me. So with that, I give you my Chicken Provencal.

Chicken Provencal
3 lbs., chicken legs and thighs
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 green zucchini, diced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white wine
2 Tbsp. fresh Tarragon, chopped and divided
1 Tbsp. fresh Basil, chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped and divided
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1 24.5 can chicken broth

In a large dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the pot, skin side down and brown deeply in oil - sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides - about 7 minutes. Turn once or twice (may need to brown chicken in batches). Remove chicken to a plate and reserve till later.

Saute onion and peppers in oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Be sure to scrape up all the browned bits. Add zucchini, garlic and 1 tablespoon of tarragon and parsley along with basil and saute another 2-3 minutes. Add wine, broth, tomatoes and olives and stir.

Put chicken back into pot nestled into the vegetables. Bring pot to a simmer, cover, and cook another 30 minutes. Add remaining tarragon and parsley and stir. Serve immediately.


No comments: