Search This Blog

Sunday, September 28, 2008

A clever idea for dinner: Recipe


How often does one say "Today I am going to start eating healthy!" I bet I say that nearly every day figuring that just one day I'll be true to the concept - for the whole day, not just from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Yesterday was a rainy day filled with errands taking us in and out of the car. It was nice to be together as a family even if there were loads of things to do. But by the time all the day's packages were in the house, I could not begin to imagine making something for dinner. And, to boot, I had promised myself that I would eat light for dinner - so therefore the entire family must follow suit. (That is the benefit of being the mom!).

So I came up with what I thought was a very clever idea for dinner - a fairly fancy salad accompanied by "Make-Your-Own Stuffed Baked Potatoes." How cool is that for a kid - and adult?

There's nothing like cheese that melts inside your piping hot potato with bacon and broccoli! So bake up a few potatoes (I admit that I microwave them...poke a few holes into a freshly washed potato, wrap in a paper towel and place in the microwave for about 10 minutes or until soft when squeezed) and cook up some bacon (again, I take this to the microwave...delivers crisp bacon without the fatty mess) and steamed broccoli (got me here...steamer pouches from Bird's Eye!) and serve!

Bibb Lettuce with Apple, Craisins, Walnuts and Goat Cheese
1 head Bibb Lettuce, washed, drained and chopped
1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup Craisins
3 oz. softened goat cheese
1 large apple, peeled and sliced into match sticks
1/4 cup Walnut oil
2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 tsp. dried mustard
1/2 tsp. fruity olive oil
salt and pepper

In a large bowl combine lettuce, nuts, craisins, apple and cheese and toss. In a small bowl, combine the walnut oil, vinegar and mustard and mix very well. Pour over the salad and toss. Drizzle remaining oil over and season with pepper and a pinch of salt.


No comments: