Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Craving Comfort: Recipe


Rainy days require "comfort food," at least that's what "they" tell us...

What is comfort food, exactly? I guess it's food that makes you feel, well...comforted or soothed. To me, it's things like baked mac and cheese, pasta with creamy sauces, or grilled cheese with bacon and tomato, or...soup. Today it poured rain and it made me want soup.

On any given day, at about 11:00 a.m., I am usually hungry for lunch. Well, to be honest, I'm usually dreaming of food just as my alarm clock is about to go off...never seems to leave my brain.

Anyway, today I wanted comfort food as it was dark and gloomy out but I didn't want to get into the car at lunchtime. Fortunately working at a university affords me the luxury of making do without doing far. However, when I came home, I decided to indulge my craving and I made some soup.

I've actually never made potato soup before but I imagined what should be included and then began cooking. It was delicious! I could eat the whole batch. I'm not really sure how good for you it is with it's prosciutto and cream (and really, the debate is out on whether potatoes are good or bad for you...guess it depends). But this was really flavorful and smooth. For a day like today...who cares about good or bad. Just eat.

Potato-Leek Soup
2 Tablespoons butter
4 oz. cubed Prosciutto
2 leeks, washed well, and sliced thin (all of the white part and about 3 inches of the green)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 lbs. Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cubed
(2) 14.5 oz. cans of chicken broth
3/4 cup heavy cream

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat and add prosciutto...saute for about 3-4 minutes, lowering the heat if meat begins to brown too quickly. Add onions and saute about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add in the leeks and the garlic and saute all together about 10 minutes, stirring often and adjusting heat toward low-medium. Add the broth and the potatoes and simmer about 35 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Add the heavy cream and stir well.

With a ladle, spoon 3/4 of the soup into a blender (leave only a few of the potato cubes) and puree until smooth. Add back into the pot and stir well. Serve.


No comments: