Search This Blog

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Grandma's Baked Mac and Cheese: Recipe


This recipe for mac and cheese has been in my family for a very long time. It is, perhaps, the best mac and cheese I've ever had but I'm sure I feel that way simply because it comes from my own family. (My mother-in-law even asked for it - making me think that it is a really wonderful version of mac and cheese). It's super easy to make and yields a great deal. It's perfect for nights when "cozy" seems to be an operative word and the left overs are just as delicious.

Grandma Frances' Mac and Cheese
1 lb. pasta
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
3 8oz. bags extra sharp cheddar cheese
5 strips of bacon
1/4 cup milk

Cook the bacon in the microwave by placing strips side by side on a thick bed of paper towels and covered with another thick bed of paper towels. Cook for 4 minutes and allow to fully cool. Crumble.

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook pasta according to box directions. Drain and put into a big mixing bowl. add the bacon, one half of the milk, the can of soup and one and 1/2 packages of the cheese. Mix very well. Add in the remaining milk and mix again. Pour into a large oven-proof casserole dish. Cover with remaining cheese.

Bake about 45-55 minutes or until the top develops a few nice brown spots. Allow it to settle for another 5 minutes out of the oven before serving.


No comments: