Search This Blog

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Imitation is the highest form of flattery: Recipe


Recently I went to a wonderful bridal shower for a girlfriend I've known for the past ten years. She's great and I'm terribly jealous that she's been to culinary school (her externship was done in NYC's top rated restaurant). Her shower was an inventive affair of "wine, cheese, and chocolate." She and her mother cooked with her mother bringing in some traditional Korean fare, including short ribs. They were out of this world - unreal. I've never had short ribs that good before and I displayed my pleasure by filling my plate three times!

Julia's mom told me what was in the marinade but I she didn't indicate any measurements, naturally. She doesn't have any! I didn't have one ingredient so instead of calling Julia to try and recreate the dish, I figured I'd put my own stamp on it with what I thought would be equally as good.

I was so amazed by these ribs that I did not want to share with my husband or kids. My children ate so much meat that I actually thought about telling them to stop eating. The meat slid off the bone and there was no need for a knife. They were filled with flavor, succulent, and absolutely Divine. I've found my next dinner party dish! The trick to this was the amount of time I used to cook the meat. The longer, the better. Do not cook for any less than two and half hours. If you don't have the time to "fix-it and forget-it" then don't do it.

Making this took NO effort at all. My favorite kind of meal! I served it with couscous and a very quick carrot dish I made on the fly.

Korean-Style Short-Ribs
1 small onion, quartered
5 large cloves of garlic
3 scallions
1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup sherry
1/3 cup rice-wine vinegar
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 shake of sesame oil (optional)
3 1/2 lbs. beef short ribs

Combine all ingredients in a food processor, except for the ribs. Puree until well incorporated and all whole ingredients are chopped. Place the ribs into a plastic zip bag and pour the marinade into the bag. Seal the bag and refrigerate about 3 hours - turn and shake once an hour.

Into a large pot, with a well fitting lid, place the ribs as well as the marinade. Move the ribs around to ensure all meat is facing down and has been well covered. Place the lid on the pot and the heat to medium-low. Cook at this heat for 3 hours, moving ribs around to different spots once an hour to ensure even cooking. Serve.


Carrots with Chives
1 Lb. carrots, peeled and chopped into this matchsticks
1 Tbsp. chives, chopped
1/4 cup sherry
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard

In a medium pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. When it melts, add in the carrots and stir well about 1 minute. Add in the mustard, chives, and sherry. Mix well and cover. Lower heat to medium-low and cook, covered, 15 minutes.


No comments: