Search This Blog

Monday, December 8, 2008

Not your average ravioli: Recipe


My husband loves ravioli. I suppose it's one of his comfort foods - a tasty meal that brings him back to simple days. As a result, we have ravioli in our house often; maybe it's a tribute to our last name (there is a frozen food company by the same name and I usually buy their ravioli in the market). I'm not always very creative when it's ravioli night...I figure why mess with a good thing? Red sauce, cheese ravioli and voila a meal is made. However the other day I was in the specialty market when I saw stacks of "fancy" ravioli and of course, I fell - hook, line, and sinker.

I came home with two different kinds - wild mushroom and walnut/Gorgonzola. These are great - they come frozen but they are clearly made with great care. I know there are various specialty types found in the supermarkets (I've bought some there, as well) but if you can find the fresh ones, I would suggest you give them a try. These, however, deserve a more delicate sauce. I mixed the two types together and served them with the following sauce - a take on our at-home favorite "pasta with peas and ham."

The ravioli were terrific - the dough was firm and not soggy; the stuffing were filled with flavor and you could really taste them. I often find the ravioli in the supermarket can be tasteless. These were anything but.

Ravioli with Pancetta, Peas and Cream
48 little ravioli (mixed with wild mushroom and walnut/Gorgonzola)
4 Tbsp. butter
1 small onion, sliced very thin
1/2 lb. sliced pancetta, sliced into ribbons about 1" long
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup frozen petite peas, thawed for 2 minutes under running hot water
1/2 cup white wine
freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup grated pecorino-Romano

In a large pot, bring enough water to a boil for the ravioli. Cook ravioli according to package directions.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium high heat and as the butter begins to bubble, add in the onions. Saute them for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat - watch to ensure they do not burn.

Add in the pancetta and saute another 5 minutes over fairly high heat but stir often to ensure pancetta does not burn but it must get browned. Add in the wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up the bits. Allow the wine to cook down for about 3 minutes (allow it to boil). Add in the cream, stir, and allow that to boil for about 5 minutes so it gets thick and creamy. Add in the peas and mix.

Drain ravioli well and put back into their pot. Pour sauce into the pot and mix, gently. Add in the pepper and the cheese and serve.


No comments: