Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pasta with Sausage and Vegetables: Recipe


So who doesn't get stuck in a winter rut of "what should we have for dinner tonight?" I do! And it's around this time (have you noticed - I haven't exactly put up a ton of blog posts in the past week or so but it isn't because I'm not cooking, it's just that I'm not cooking food worth blogging about!)

But tonight I may have broken free from the rut! This dish smelled so good that my four-year old wandered into the kitchen a few times to ask what we were having. That's always a very good sign. I liken this dish to an "everything but the kitchen sink" concept. I opened the fridge and started pulling out ingredients and suddenly I had the makings of a terrific meal. I encourage you to do the same thing. It's easy and I'll bet you have some wonderful things hiding in your pantry or fruit/veggie drawer, too.

This took only as long as it took to boil water and cook pasta - what could be easier than a dish that takes 25 minutes at the most?

Pasta with Sausage and Vegetables
1 lb. pasta
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and cut into small pieces
5 cloves garlic, minced + 1 clove, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 cup very good Olive Oil
1/2 cup white wine
3.5 oz. Shittake Mushrooms, sliced
3/4 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1 small zucchini, sliced thin
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced in half
1/4 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese

In a large pot, boil enough water for 1 lb. pasta. Cook pasta according to directions.

In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add 1 clove of garlic. Saute quickly - about 30 seconds - and add the sausage. Saute the sausage about 6-8 minutes or until it turns white and loses the raw red color. Add in the zucchini and saute another 3 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and the dried herbs. Saute another 3 minutes and add in the remaining garlic. Cook another 4 minutes and add in the tomatoes and the olives. Cook for 2 more minutes before adding in the wine. Bring mixture to a boil for about 4 minutes and pour over the cooked, drained, pasta. Add the cheese and toss.


No comments: