Search This Blog

Monday, March 2, 2009

Imitation and Flattery...Something like that: Recipe


I just returned from a business trip to South Florida and had lunch one day at a wonderful place in Miami called "Michael's Genuine." It was very busy and very good. My lunch-date and I did not consume a great deal (though I could have!) but what we did eat was simple food made fabulous. An heirloom tomato surrounded by cheese, olives, onion, cucumber and topped with awesome oil - that was the "Greek Salad" that I ate. It was unreal. So, of course, I made a version for dinner tonight.

If you can find heirlooms now, use them. But here in New York you'll need to wait for the summer. However, this was very good with the substitute - just be sure you use the ripest ones you can find.

I found a terrific new feta cheese in the supermarket - it was a feta made with sheep and goat's milk and it was patted with herbs - it was very creamy, very tangy, and super delicious.

Greek Salad
3 medium very ripe tomatoes from the vine, sliced
1 medium cucumber, sliced
1/4 cup Kalamata Olives, pits removed
1/4 cup Goat-Sheep Feta with herbs
2 Tsp. Lemon Oil

Slice the tomatoes and cucumber and arrange on a plate. Add the olives and the feta and drizzle with oil. Serve at room temperature.


No comments: