Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"You do not like them, so you say...try them and you may!" Recipe



Here we are again: in need of some clever food idea to match my daughter's book choice to the sharing snack she's supposed to bring to class. I voted for the book about the parrot and the fruit, thinking about a big fruit salad (clever mommy) but she vetoed my idea and chose, instead, "Green Eggs and Ham."

Ok, well, I did consider it...could I really send her to school with a slab of ham and a bunch of eggs colored green? So I asked her but the face she made said it all. Back to the drawing board. I tried to think of something ("with a box, in a box, with a mouse, in the rain, with a goat," etc) but came up with nothing!

To be honest, the last thing I wanted to do tonight was make something other than dinner (pasta with peas and ham) - I've not been feeling well and my husband needed to be out this evening so I had to make something for her project while cleaning up from dinner and getting the kids bathed and off to bed. And then I thought about brownies but since they had nothing to do with the book, I've created a link by stacking them onto an adorable plate I received when my oldest was born (along with the book she's bringing to school - thanks Jeannie!). Oh is that clever!

These brownies are rich but not too sweet. They would be sweeter if you used 12 oz of semisweet chocolate. I actually didn't have enough semisweet in the house so I mixed it up. They are very good and not too sweet. Not exactly green eggs or ham but I would surely eat them served on a plate with Sam I Am!

Not-Too-Sweet Brownies
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
2 Tbsp. water
3 oz. semisweet chocolate bits
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate bits
7 oz. Hershey's special dark baking bar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 325. Grease and flour a 9" square baking pan. Set aside.

Combine into a small bowl the flour and the baking soda. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine sugar, butter and water. Stir until butter is melted. Turn up the heat to high and bring to a boil. Add half of the chocolate and remove the pot from the heat. Stir rapidly to ensure the chocolate melts well. Add in the vanilla and continue stirring. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir until it cools. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well after each addition. Next add the flour mixture and slowly mix together. Finally add the remaining chocolate and stir. Spread batter into the prepared pan and bake about 35-40 minutes or until tester comes out clean.

Allow pan to cool and cut into squares.


No comments: