Search This Blog

Monday, July 6, 2009

Oh My Omega 3s: Recipe


While shopping for fish recently I saw a sign that said: Salmon is high in Omega 3 Fatty Acids: eat more Salmon this summer. Well put.

While I don't claim to be a nutritionist, I do know that these Fatty Acids are incredibly good for your brain and for your body. I happen to enjoy salmon and it's great that the kids will eat it, as well. I admit that I have to coach them and coax them into it but once they start eating they're pretty good about finishing their meal.

The amazing thing about cooking fish in the summer is that you can cook it quickly, relatively mess-free, outside on the grill. So while people complain that they hate the smell of fish (BTW: your fish should not smell!) this method of cooking and eating outside puts that challenge to rest.

I can't emphasis enough just how quickly this meal came together. I walked in the door at 6:15 and dinner was ready at 6:40. The trick was that my husband knew exactly when I was coming in and prepared the barbecue. But I did everything else. So if you have a partner who is the outside person, you can be sure to get this done quickly. If you happen to be the inside and outside person then tack on another 5 minutes or so to ensure you've gotten everything done on the inside.

The olive paste made the dish. Salmon grilled with a bit of oil, etc. is very good - drizzle with lemon. But adding this homemade paste was the key to the "hmmmmmmm...." that my husband muttered after taking the first bite.

Grilled Salmon with Olive Tapenade
4 medium salmon fillets (about 1/2 lb each)
1/4 cup fruity olive oil
1/8 cup finely chopped fresh rosemary

1/2 cup Kalamata Olives, pitted
1/4 cup Green Sicilian Olives, pitted
1 small garlic clove
1 Tbsp. capers in brine, drained
1/4 cup Olive Oil

Prepare grill. Spray grill grate with non-stick cooking spray (away from the fire!!!).

In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup oil with rosemary. With a pastry brush, baste all four fillets with the oil mixture and set aside for a few minutes while grill heats.

In a food processor combine remaining ingredients and puree. Set aside.

Grill fish (skin side down first) about 5-7 minutes per side and continue to brush the fillets with the remaining oil mixture until it's all gone. Place salmon on serving platter and spoon about 1/4 cup of mixture onto the tops of each fillet. Serve.



No comments: