Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

Zissen Pesach

Passover begins tonight at sundown and lasts for 8 days. In that time frame you are not supposed to consume flour, amongst many other rules. To be honest, and why would you be surprised by this admission, I don't keep to any of it once the two initial days have ended. Of course, during the days I call "Passover," I will happily abide by the no-flour ruling. We go to mom's for the holiday and tonight is no different. I hadn't even focused on the holiday and today I realized that I better make something to bring - what kind of person comes empty handed to some one's home (even to their parent's home)?

I hunted and pecked through the cabinet to find ingredients and sure enough, a little chocolate and nuts makes a perfect...cupcake? Indeed! Flourless chocolate cupcakes - and these could be made anytime of the year. They were delicious. I could have baked them a few minutes less - so below is the proper cooking time. Mine came out three minutes too dry but the flavor and the consistency were still excellent. I don't know of any cupcake made without frosting, so I whipped up some plain old buttercream. Ideally, had I had more of it, I would have melted white chocolate and poured a layer on top of each cake and allowed it to harden. But buttercream is soft and sweet - an excellent combination for the rich-nutty cakes.

"Mustacchioni"
Almond and Chocolate Cupcakes

4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken pieces
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, broken pieces
1 cup slivered almonds
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. Meyers Rum

In a food processor, combine all ingredients until a soft creamy paste is formed. Drop into paper cups, one heaping tablespoon of mixture. Bake at 350 for 22 minutes - until slightly firm. They are meant to be soft and moist.


No comments: