Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

Grilled Snow White Peaches from the South: Recipe

On our way back from vacation we drove up US13 from the Chesapeake-Bay Bridge and Tunnel. While I was excited to get home I could not help but be captivated by the numerous farm stands that dotted the pretty landscape. As we passed stand after stand, I cringed - first in silence and then audibly and finally I begged enough that I convinced my husband to stop. There were giant watermelons, amazing tomatoes, nectarines, squash, and snow white peaches.  They were giant, fuzzy, and gorgeous.  We left with bags of fruit.

Admittedly, the peaches were not soft...though the woman at the stand informed me that there is, indeed, a difference between "ripe" and "soft."  So by her way of thinking, these were ripe just not soft. And in fact, they smelled sweet but tasted a bit like a potato.

Today I felt two of the larger ones and they were softer so I decided to try something I've never done before - grilled peaches.  My husband said they smelled like roasted marshmallows as he cooked them but more importantly they were unbelievable delicious.  They made a nice presentation and they were very easy to do. We ate them after a steak dinner...they just needed a port wine to go with them!

Grilled Peaches Bathed in Brown Sugar and Calvados
2 large ripe snow white peaches, sliced
2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons Calvados
1/4 tsp. fresh chopped rosemary

In a bowl, mix all ingredients except for the peaches. Slice by slice, dip the peaches into the syrup and set aside on a plate.  Grill, skin side first, about a total of 4 minutes, turning halfway through.

No comments: