Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Great Zucchini: Recipe

Ever see that Charlie Brown episode with the giant pumpkin? Well picture a giant zucchini...got it in your head? Ok...a young woman in my office came to work the other day with this giant vegetable and claimed she didn't want it - it was too big for one person. Knowing I was having a party, I figured I could use it somehow. Sure enough, turns out that one can make zucchini look a lot like a potato as in potato-latkas. So, voila!


Would you believe that this 4 lb. zucchini only made about 35 pancakes? Truth be told, I didn't utilize the entire thing - I sliced off each end (about 1/2 pound gone from there) and I didn't shred the skin. Also, I had to remove some flesh because the larger this thing grew the more it behaved like a gourd - complete with pumpkin-like seeds and a stringy inside.

These were terrific with a slightly sweeter taste than its potato cousin. I should have served them with a sour cream dipping sauce but by the time I figured that, they were all gone!

Zucchini Fritters
makes about 35 small

5 cups shredded zucchini (use large holes on a box grater), from about 3 1/2 lbs zucchini, squeezed tightly of all liquid*
1/3 cup flour
1 Tbsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 onion, minced

* Use hands to squeeze out liquid and then squeeze again with paper towels
Combine all ingredients and heat oil in a large frying pan until very, very hot. Using a tablespoon to scoop up mixture, form about 35 small balls and then flatten gently into pancakes. To ensure even cooking, do not overcrowd the fryer - place about 4-6 pancakes into the fryer at one time. Turn gently after about 4-5 minutes per side - once it browns on each side.  Remove and drain on paper bags

I made these one day ahead and refrigerated. Reheat in an oven set at 350 for 15 minutes.

No comments: