Search This Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Worth a Try: Food Chatter - Sour Cream Cake with Pecan Brittle

Pouring through an old issue of Bon Appetit magazine, as I often do, I saw a photo of a gorgeous cake that looked truly delicious. It's called:  Sour Cream Layer Cake with Pecan Brittle.  I wanted to make it right then but realized I didn't have a box of cake mix so the magazine page stayed open for a few days on the kitchen counter. Finally, today, I decided to give it a whirl. I wanted to see if this cake was as good as it looked - and guess what?  IT IS!!!

This is a "must try" recipe.  It was so easy - probably the hardest thing to do was scrape the sides of the pot while the sugar was caramelizing for the brittle.  Other than that it was incredibly easy and yielded an unbelievably moist and delicious cake. The flecks of chocolate you see throughout the cake make it slightly sophisticated and the icing made me speechless. The frosting tastes like one of those Canadian Maple Sugar candies that come in packs of four and in shapes like that of a maple leaf. I was willing to eat the frosting on its own!




check it out for your next party:
Sour Cream Layer Cake with Pecan Brittle

No comments: