Search This Blog

Friday, April 6, 2012

Old Habits Die Hard: Recipe

Today is Good Friday and as it happens, it's also the start of Passover. Usually my family has its Seder on the first night of Passover but this year we'll have it the second night so more family members could be with us. Given it's Good Friday, I wanted to be sure my husband didn't eat meat today so I opted to make a marinara sauce with pasta. However, subconsciously - or unconsciously as the case may be - I must have been gearing up for this day because as I gathered the ingredients for the sauce, I saw in the refrigerator an unopened bottle of Gefilte Fish, horseradish, a container of chicken livers I hadn't yet opened and naturally I knew I had a box of egg matzoh. Well, it was obvious what I had to do...I made my own mini-Passover dinner complete with chopped liver, matzoh, and fish; perfect.  Dinner was a bit funny as the kids and my husband also ate the fish and the matzoh with their pasta and red sauce - bizarre, I know...but perfect in our house. As part of the mini-Passover dinner, I made this salad - light and delicious. 

An Asian Pear - what is it?  I think it's a cross between a pear and an apple. Well, it's shaped like an apple but it's flesh is closer to a pear. It was light and sweet. I had this salad the other day for a work function so I was inspired to get a few pears when I saw them. 

Now that I've cleaned the kitchen, made two batches of ice cream, baked, frosted and wrapped about 50 cookies for Easter, I'm free to make Almond Meringue cookies for our "real" Passover Seder.



Asian-Pear and Strawberry Salad
1 medium Asian Pear, peeled and diced
3 medium-large strawberries, diced
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/8 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, minced

Combine all ingredients and serve.

No comments: