Search This Blog

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Afternoon Treat for All: Recipe

I've seen tomatillos in the supermarket lately and wanted to buy them but every time I passed the display I wound up distracted and somehow kept walking. Today was different though; I was far more determined and succeed in taking them home. I found a Rick Bayless recipe for roasted garlic and tomatillo salsa and I followed it but as I tasted it I realized it was a bit too hot - even for me - so I altered it slightly by adding some fresh yellow pepper and a squeeze of lime which toned it down a bit.

The kids and I made a quick saute of onion and bell peppers and added some fresh cilantro at the end.  Then we heated up some black beans and together we made a few quesadillia with Mexi-Style shredded cheese.  We all sat down for a 3:00 p.m. treat. and a chat. I steered the kids away from the salsa but man was it GOOD!

Roasted Garlic and Tomatillo Salsa
1 large garlic clove, peeled
4 large tomatillos, husked, washed and halved
2 small chipotle chilies, from the can
juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped

In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, place the tomatillo halves cut-side down along with the garlic clove and cook about 4 minutes - turn and cook 4 more minutes on the other side. Place the tomatillos and garlic into a food processor along with 1/4 cup water, pepper, lime and chipotle chilies. Puree until all ingredients are a smooth consistency.

No comments: