Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Fruit of the Loin: Recipe



I can't say that I've created anything vastly different here than I have in previous posts but the cut of the lamb is different in this recipe and the use of salt is different.  Aside from that - it was the color on the table that made this dinner truly worthwhile. I have been trying to teach my children about the value of color on one's plate - the more color you have on your plate, typically, the healthier it is - greens, legumes, vegetables, fruits, etc.  We had fun with this and the little hands - all six of them - gobbled up as much fruit as they could among forks full of lamb chop.

The key to this lamb was the simplicity of it all - garlic, olive oil, rosemary and salt all pureed together to form a thick emulsion. That's it.  Additionally, I used American Lamb Loin Chops - my mother says that when she was young these chops cost next to nothing but now they can be as much as $12.99 per pound. I bought them on sale but because they have so much more meat on them - compared to baby lamb chops and even shoulder chops, which are laced with fat, I would have purchased them anyway.  I was just in the mood for lamb.

Since these were about an inch and a half thick, my Grill-Master put them on the perimeter of the grill so they were cooked over indirect heat for about 8-9 minutes per side.  They came out with a gorgeous crust and were each cooked perfectly. I admit that I left these in the marinade for two days - from Sunday to Tuesday - that always works wonders to break down the proteins in the meat.  Dinner was on the table in less than 30 minutes.

I served fresh cut cantaloupe slices, sliced cucumber and strawberry, a wedge of Gorgonzola cheese with sliced pear and fresh grapes and pearled couscous as the "starch." It was all really nice and clearly pretty easy to produce. Once the chops came in off the grill, I sprinkled them with salt - just slightly - but Kosher salt really enhances the natural flavors of meats and of some fresh vegetables.

Enjoy!

No comments: