Search This Blog

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Red, Beans (Not Rice) Did Miss Her: Recipe


Meredith's Food for Life
 Sir Mix-a-Lot had it right. Focusing on whole grains and substantial foods makes you fuller longer and has been known to cause a reduction in the desire to snack on crap - for lack of a better word. Quinoa is apparently a super food - bringing with it lots of fiber and protein and not a lot of carbs/sugar. I saw the red variety in the store and was intrigued.  It didn't taste different to me - or at least it didn't taste different than its natural-colored sibling (to me).  The back of the package had a recipe that I couldn't resist - it sounded like something I would order in a Latin restaurant and anything like that sounds good to me!

I'll admit right here that my husband walked past the pot of cooking quinoa and asked if it was something out of Star Wars but he ate it anyway and loved it.  The kids?  Well, let's just say this one got a lot of strange looks and really loud promises to eat everything else on the plate.  They didn't eat it, even though one of my kids loves black beans.  The lime juice made the dish so I added an extra tablespoon but if I had followed the recipe completely and used the avocado it called for, it would have been perfect. I didn't happen to have a ripe one so I skipped it. I'm adding it into this recipe because it deserves to be there.

Red Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
serves about 10

1 cup red quinoa
14 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 orange pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1 cup cooked corn
1 small avocado, cubed
5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

In a medium saucepot, bring 2 1/2 cups water to boil and add in the cup of red quinoa. Reduce the heat and let simmer about 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the seed expands. Allow quinoa to cool for about 6 minutes and then fluff with a fork. 

Meanwhile, combine the beans, peppers, cilantro, scallions and corn in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, mix together the lime juice, garlic, cumin and olive oil until well mixed. When quinoa is ready, mix into the vegetables and pour the dressing over. Mix well. Next gently fold in the avocado. Serve cold or at room temperature.



No comments: