Search This Blog

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Chicken Cordon Bleu with a GF Twist: Recipe


Embarking on a two-week gluten elimination diet, the idea of making chicken cordon bleu came to mind. However, I was stuck for a while realizing that I like my chicken cordon bleu to have a crisp breaded crust and, naturally, the bread crumbs I had in the house were not gluten free. 

What's a cook to do? Improvise!! 

With the Jewish Holidays here, I happened to impulse-buy gluten free matzoh meal, thinking I might make matzoh ball soup for next week's meal before the fast. Today, I realized I could use it in place of breadcrumb. It was amazing and it did the trick! The kids and my husband were surprised that the chicken didn't taste any different than if I had made it using traditional breadcrumbs. And, truthfully, so was I.

I doctored the matzoh meal slightly to add more flavor: cheese, dried herbs and salt and pepper. This was a huge hit - even the near 3-yr old ate her entire plate of food. I served it with GF rice and steamed broccoli. 

GF Chicken Cordon Bleu
Serves 5-6

1 lb. thinly sliced chicken breast
1/3 lb. Virginia Ham, sliced thin
1/2 lb. white American cheese, sliced thin
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Matzoh Meal
1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 tblspoon each: dried basil, parsley and oregano
2 tblspoon Kosher salt
Pepper
1 1/2 - 2 cups vegetable oil
Special equipment: 15-20 toothpicks

In a bowl, beat the two eggs and set aside.

In another bowl, mix together dried herbs, cheese, salt, pepper and matzoh meal.

On top of each slice of chicken breast, place two slices of ham and then two slices of cheese on top of the ham. The cheese and ham should cover the chicken from end to end. Roll each slice of chicken from one short side to the other - tightly - and afix with 3-4 toothpicks to secure.

Heat oil in a large heavy pot/pan - like a Dutch oven or large frying pan with high sides. Once the oil is sizzling hot, roll each piece of chicken in the egg and then in the matzoh meal and gently place in the oil. Do not turn for at least 4-5 minutes. If the oil and chicken look like they are beginning to burn, lower the heat slightly. Using silicone tongs, gently turn the chicken pieces until fully cooked - about 10-12 minutes in all. 

Place chicken on a wire rack set over a paper towel inside a baking sheet, to catch any oil drippings. Let cool about 3-4 minutes and slice into 2" pieces.

No comments: