Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Take it to the Greek! Recipe

Meredith's Food For Life - Greek Lamb Burger with Green Sauce

It's not a bad accomplishment to put dinner on the table in 30 minutes and have everyone eat what they're supposed to! This was a bit of an experiment because I knew I wanted to make a lamb burger but wasn't quite sure how it would come out. Sometimes I can visualize (and imagine flavors) how a dish is supposed to be and I use my kitchen as a working test lab. Doesn't always happen this way but this time my hypotheses was right...this was a hit and so I will make this again and again. 

The kids were apprehensive at first, one doesn't love burgers of any kind, but after the first two bites she didn't complain again and ate the whole burger, along with three helpings of rice and peas mixed with the green sauce I made. 

The burgers were just right - not dry and not too juicy, either. They were seasoned with cumin, mint, and feta but it was the touch of cinnamon that took them over the top. The sauce was a purée of various greens, garlic and lemon and it was so good we all had thirds and mixed it with the rice. 

It's nice when a glimmer of an idea comes to fruition and works perfectly. I ate my burger on toasted (and I mean toasted!) GF bread. 

Greek Lamb Burgers with Green Sauce
Serves 5 

1 lb. ground lamb
1/2 cup gluten free matzo meal
1 egg
1 tablespoon fresh chopped mint
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander 
1 tsp. ground cinnamon 
2 tablespoons Kosher salt
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to broil. Prepare broiler pan with aluminum foil. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients well. Form 5 meatballs and then flatten slightly - don't make them into flat patties.  (I made two larger ones and three smaller ones)  and broil about 7 minutes on the first side, flip and broil another 6 minutes. Let them sit for about 4 minutes before serving.


Green Sauce 
In a food processor combine 1/2 cup fresh mint, 1/4 cup fresh arugula, 1/2 cup fresh parsley, and 1/2 cup fresh cilantro together with 1 large garlic clove, 6 black pitted kalamata olives in oil, juice of one lemon and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Process till smooth.

No comments: