Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2015

A Sweet Passover: Recipe

Meredith's Food for Life

I come from a pretty traditional Jewish household where we enjoy brisket, potato kugel, matzo ball soup, and flourless chocolate cake for our Seder. Matzo, in my house, has never been used for anything other than a vehicle for chopped liver, chorses or horseradish so when I came upon a recipe that used matzo for a sweet dessert, I had to give it a whirl. I am thrilled (and so are my kids) that I did! 

Apparently others use this kind of recipe throughout the year using saltine crackers - sounds like we all have it right. I used a gluten free matzo today which is so very crispy compared to matzo with gluten or egg. It couldn't have been better!

Warning: This is addicting - and with a touch of sea salt on top, it was heavenly! 

Salted Caramel-Chocolate Matzo

4 sheets of matzo - not egg matzo
1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
12 oz. milk or dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter
Coarse sea salt

Preheat oven to 250.

Line a heavy baking sheet with parchment paper and top with the 4 sheets of matzo. 

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add sugar - mix well. Pour mixture on the matzo. Spred, gently, and bake about 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle chips all over the hot sugar. Tent with foil about 30 minutes and spred with off-set spatula. Sprinkle with salt. Refrigerate about 2 hours. Break apart. Pieces can be stored in air tight container about 4 days.




 

No comments: