Search This Blog

Monday, May 26, 2008

Beef Marinade: Oh how I love to Marinate!: Recipe

In about 10 minutes, I was able to prepare two dishes for the week's dinner. Seriously! With the ever-so-handy Ziploc bag and some creative dry rub or liquid marinade, I am able to prolong my fresh meat through the week and add tremendous flavor to the food. It's incredible and incredibly good.

So in a quick second, I made the dry rub for the pork chops I bought on Saturday (as per my recipe in the "Weekly Food Planner" section). And then I realized I had skirt steak and while I instructed anyone reading to pour half the bottle of a prepared (and really good!) marinade over the steaks, I decided to change course, slightly. I was in the mood for a strong Asian flavor so I whipped up something quick and seemingly fancy. The recipe is below, under recipes, as "beef marinade."

But here's the beauty! I purchased ground beef this week and so I need to use that - quickly - so that will be tomorrow's dinner since we didn't have burgers today for Memorial Day. In fact, I'll use the burger recipe I outline below since it feels a bit lighter than a traditional burger and bun (and I could use a salad after all the food I ate this weekend!). So now my pork and my steak are safely gathering flavor and will sit just fine until I get to them on Wednesday (pork) and Thursday (beef). And Friday will bring take out to my family!

Had I not done this, the beef would be gray by Thursday and the pork a bit smelly by Wednesday. Neither will happen now and they will be, instead, absolutely delicious!

Beef Marinade
In a medium bowl, spoon 1/2 cup of dijon mustard. Wisk into it, slowly, 3/4 cup of low-sodium soy sauce until it is fully incorporated - it should be a light brown color and somwhat thinned. If it's too thin, add a tablespoon more of mustard and mix well.
Next combine in a Cuisinart about 3-4 inches of fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced; 3 garlic cloves, peeled; and, 8 fresh chives. Pulse until finely chopped. Stir well into the mustard mixture and pour over beef (into a plastic bag). Allow to sit overnight.


No comments: