Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Dad's Night to Cook: Recipe


They say that necessity is the mother of invention. I think that my husband found his "invention" in the kitchen this evening. He thinks he doesn't get enough credit...but I think he's wonderful! I was not home for dinner tonight so he had to fend for himself, as they say. He asked me what he should make the kids for dinner and I responded that he could just bread and fry some chicken cutlets. He said it was no problem. However, he said that after he cracked the eggs he discovered there were no breadcrumbs (though I'd be willing to bet they're downstairs in my "store" and he just didn't look hard enough. I once had to take a pair of tongs and move box after box of brown sugar out of the way to find the one remaining box of confectionery sugar I was certain I must have had...I was in the middle of a recipe and was desperate to search one more minute. It paid off!)

When I came home my husband had made a very delicious dinner of Chicken Francaise. I'm not usually a fan of this because it tends to appear in too many catered functions with steaming chaffing dishes over murky water and the dish is too often overcooked and under flavored with lots of corn-starch. He and I both tend to avoid it. But tonight he made a lemony version that was really good.

Paul's Chicken Francaise
1 pkg. Perdue Perfect Portions (6 cutlets)
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp. Milk
1 cup flour
2/3 cup olive oil
4 Tbsp. butter
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Pat dry the chicken cutlets. In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until well blended. Put flour in a separate shallow bowl. Dredge each cutlet into the egg mixture and then into the flour mixture until well coated on both sides.

In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium-high heat until hot. Slip in 3 cutlets and sprinkle each with salt and pepper. Cook about 4 minutes per side, until they are golden. Transfer to a serving platter and repeat with remaining cutlets.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a small pot over medium heat. Pour butter over the cutlets and top all with freshly squeezed lemon juice and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.



No comments: