Search This Blog

Friday, July 18, 2008

Sustainability: Recipe



I feel a bit like a little kid when I come home from work each day and see my tiny herb and vegetable garden growing more and more robust. I can actually see the difference a day makes (and sun and water, of course). When you're able to go out and pick your own food, it is a thrill. This year I planted the usual but I shuffled the deck with regard to placement in the garden and low and behold the old "rotating the crops" concept actually works!

I have Itchiban Eggplant, green peppers, tomatoes, rosemary, sage, basil, thyme, mint, chives, lemon thyme, oregano, parsley and cilantro. I even have a rogue squash plant growing in the front yard - I didn't plant it and neither did any of my neighbors. Odd, really...but I'm patiently waiting for the flowers to turn into zucchini.

I picked out several eggplant to make one of my favorite dishes (and one I've been waiting all year for...): grilled Japanese eggplant. This recipe is so easy and generates a terrific eggplant (something I really don't care for normally).

Grilled Eggplant with Soy and Rosemary
5 Japanese eggplant, washed and sliced longways
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup rosemary leaves
1/4 soy sauce
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. salt

In a Cuisinart combine all ingredients except for eggplant. Combine well until garlic is finely chopped and mixture is emulsified. Brush mixture onto eggplant and put on the grill, quickly thereafter - skin side down first. Grill, turning at least once, about 3-4 minutes per side or until prepared to desired doneness.

Sprinkle lightly with salt and rosemary, for garnish.


No comments: