Search This Blog

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chocolate Raspberry Tart: Recipe


Today I baked in a hurry. The morning just flew by so quickly and by the time I looked up it was well past the time it should have been for me to begin baking somthing detailed. We were headed to a friend's house and were expected by 11 a.m. I knew this friend to be a very good cook and I wanted to come prepared with something special for her but I squandered the morning. As I stared at the oven and the two 6 oz. containers of raspberries I bought, I was hit with inspiration. And as they say, this was "easy as pie!"

Thankfully the tart was met with real delight, which always pleases me, of course. Friends said it looked like it took a really long time to make - ahhh, my signature mark, I think: dishes that look like they would be difficult but are really easy! If you like chocolate I say this is a good option. The tart needed the light and refreshing taste of the whipped cream and berries to counterbalance the rich chocolate. And it looks pretty, to boot!

Chocolate-Raspberry Tart
15 graham crackers, broken
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted + 1 Tbsp.
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate chips
4 Tablespoons Heavy Cream + 1 cup
1 tsp. vanilla
12 oz. raspberries, picked over and flash-washed (dry well)
2 Tbsp. confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In food processor, pulse crackers until tiny crumbs form. Add brown sugar and mix well. Add 1 1/2 sticks melted butter and pulse until moist crumbs form. With hands, press mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a tart pan with removable bottom. Bake for 15 minutes (place a tray underneath to catch melted butter) and cool completely.

In a double boiler set with water underneath, melt chocolate over medium high heat. Add vanilla and 4 Tbsp. heavy cream and mix well. Spread chocolate over the bottom of the crust. Place pie shell and chocolate in the freezer for about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, with an electric mixer, whip 1 cup of very cold heavy cream and confectioner's sugar on high for about 3-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Remove pie from freezer and cover chocolate with about 3/4 of the berries. Then spread the whipped cream over the berries and top with remaining berries and a few chocolate shavings. Keep refrigerated until use - about 2-3 hours. Let stand about 15 minutes before slicing.


No comments: