Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Quick Thinking: Recipe


You know, this blog thing can be pretty stressful at times! Yikes. I want to make something easy for dinner and then write about it - but hey! Easy isn't always...well, easy!

But tonight I raced to the market after you know what (the trip to the gym) and grabbed the most perfect sausage. You don't all live in Lynbrook, naturally, but I have to tell you that this place where I buy meat is so great (for those of you who do, you know it...it's Cross Island!) and the pinwheel sausage is out of this world. Moral of the story is to find a butcher - the meats and the service there are always superior to what you'd find in a supermarket.

Anyway, I picked up a wheel of lamb sausage (watch the BBQ flare-ups from the fat) and some watermelon. I thought I'd round out the dish with some homemade pesto for pasta but by the time I walked in the door at 6:01 p.m., my children looked like they were going to eat me - so waiting another 25 minutes while my husband cooked the meat and I made some pesto sauce and pasta didn't seem like much of an option.

And then it hit me (see, these things aren't always so organized): I made a whole bowl of fava bean puree/dip the other night for our get-together but because there was so much food already out that I was sure someone would mistake me for a lunatic, I didn't serve it. I took the bowl out of the fridge and set it on top of the stove - right next to the burner that I was using to boil the pasta (so it warmed to room temp faster). I sliced up some cherry tomatoes from my garden and threw them into a giant bowl. I added the pasta and the puree and mixed it all up. Then I took a veggie peeler and peeled off some Parmigiano-Reggiano curls on top. Delicious and it only took about 18 minutes.

see the link to the post about Fava Bean Spread: http://meredithsfoodforlife.blogspot.com/2008/06/fava-beans-recipe.html


No comments: