Search This Blog

Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Complete Sunday Meal: Recipes

I have to admit that I'm itching for the cooler weather. I love cooking in the cold weather - the soups, stews, and other goodies made in the oven or on top of the stove. I guess I've just had about enough of the warmth. On Sundays in the fall and winter I tend to make tons of food and enjoy stirring a pot. Today was one of those days where I had the hankering to cook, despite the heat.

The other day I went to the grocery store and there was a club steak on sale - which I swear was the best deal I've bought in a long time. It was about 2 1/2 lbs. of meat, pretty well marbleized, and it cost about $5.45 (total!!!). How could I resist? Admittedly I kept it in the fridge far longer that I had intended but when I took it out to marinate, it was still ok! The steak was about 1" thick. Perfect. So I marinated it in a mixture of soy sauce, garlic, scallions, sesame oil and a little sugar. You can be creative with the proportions (try using 2 sliced scallions, 2 garlic cloves finely chopped, 1 Tbsp. sugar, 2 Tsp. sesame oil and 3/4 cup soy sauce and mix really well).

This was an overnight marinating job and as I usually do, I scored the beef in several places to ensure the marinade seeped deep into the steak. It worked. The steak was grilled about 7 minutes per side and then I let it rest for about 7 more minutes and it was juicy and flavorful and just plain awesome.

With it we had mashed potatoes and a tomato salad. There was plenty of steak and potatoes left over - another recipe will be posted in the next day or so using the left overs creatively. Watch for it.


Mashed Potatoes
2 1/2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, washed well and quartered (with the skin on)
4 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. salt
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup whole milk

Drop potatoes into boiling water for about 25 minutes or until they are very soft when poked with a fork. Drain well and put them back into the pot. Mash with a potato masher until well all pieces have been squashed. Add butter and salt and mash and mix well. Add milks and repeat - mash and mix well.


Tomato, Olive and Feta Salad
4 medium, very ripe, tomatoes, washed, trimmed and chopped
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve.


No comments: