Search This Blog

Monday, September 15, 2008

More from the Garden: Recipe


I don't know about you but we have had the worst summer dealing with mosquitoes. I don't ever recall it being this bad - we could barely let our children outside for fear they would come in with tremendous welts the size of quarters from the little buggers.

This morning my daughter and I went outside and I took a peek in the garden. There were green tomatoes and pink ones all over but inside the marigolds that I've used for the past 5 years to "protect" the herbs from pests, there were tons of mosquitoes. In my typical rash way, I grabbed the garbage bin and I hauled them all out - tomato plants, marigolds, pepper plants, and even an eggplant stalk. In the process, my daughter and I were completely bitten up and I discovered about three feet of rosemary growing under all those tomatoes.

I grabbed some basil and some rosemary and made a new pesto sauce. It was lunch on some hot pasta...and it was good! The only real difference I noticed was the consistency of this pesto - it was much thicker than regular pesto. But the flavors were a bit more complex and certainly it was not overpowering with that spicy basil bite.

Rosemary-Basil Pesto
1 cup fresh rosemary, off the stem
1 1/2 cup fresh basil
4 garlic cloves
4 1/2 oz walnuts
1 1/4 cup Romano cheese
1 cup olive oil

In a food processor combine all ingredients except the oil and cheese. Process about 10 seconds and pour the oil into the liquid tube so that it slowly pours into the bowl of the processor. Turn on the processor and allow mixture to become completely Incorporated and smooth. Add in the cheese and pulse about 5 times.


No comments: