Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Friends during the Week: Recipe


I love to entertain but entertaining during the week scares me. I want to be sure that my guests feel like they've gotten a good meal while I balance the more important role of mommy. That said, we don't often entertain guests during the week but I've not seen my childhood girlfriend and her boyfriend for weeks and it was time for us all to get together...and since our schedules don't mesh well they agreed to make the 50 minute treck here during the week and I agreed to make dinner (seemed like a fair trade to to me).

Aside from my two little ones running around begging our friends to play with them at every moment, and everyone speaking at the same time, it was a really nice visit. Dinner was tasty and I think this is the kind of everyday dish that you can easily serve to your family - with or without guests.

The chicken was rounded out with boxed-rice (how dare I!), steamed corn, and a fresh tomato salad with basil, kalamata olives and feta cheese drizzled with lemon oil and white balsamic vinegar.

Chicken with Soy-Ginger Marinade
3 Lbs. chicken pieces (legs and thighs work best)
2/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 scallions, sliced
2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
5 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

In a food processesor, combine all ingredients, except for the chicken, and process till well incorporated and smooth. Put chicken into a large zip bag and pour in the sauce mixture. Refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 and place all chicken into a large oven proof pan. Do not stack pieces. Bake 1 hour and serve, turn pieces at the half-way mark.



No comments: