Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Heart Healthy Buffalo: Recipe


Walking up and down the supermarket aisle I tend to let myself dream about food. However, sometimes when I stare at the meat section I admit that I can simply draw a blank. Since I'm not a professional, I don't always know the best cuts of meat or if the sale item is a good thing to buy or if it's a good price. So I wing it. A lot.

I did just purchase a one pound package of buffalo meat and thought I'd make some burgers but when the time came, I opted for chili, instead. This came out really good. Turns out that buffalo meat if far leaner than regular beef and it has less cholesterol. It even rivals chicken with regard to nutritional content! I was very pleased. Low in fat, high in taste. My kind of food!

Buffalo-Chili with Cocoa, Coffee and Port
2 Tbls. olive oil
1 onion, sliced thin
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 scallions, chopped finely
3 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp. salt
2 tsp. cocoa-chili blend spice
2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 quick shakes cayenne pepper
1 Lb. ground buffalo meat
1 can black beans (about 15 oz), drained
1 can little white beans (about 15 oz), drained
1/4 cup strong coffee
1/3 cup port
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
2/3 box of small pasta, such as elbows
2/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and saute about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and the scallions. Saute another minute and then add in the carrots and pepper. Saute vegetables for about 5 minutes on medium-low heat until they begin to soften. Add the spices and saute until vegetables are well coated - about 3 more minutes on medium low heat.

Next raise the temperature to medium-high and add in the meat. Saute until well browned, about 6 minutes. Stir often. Add in the beans and stir well. Add in the coffee, the port, and the tomatoes. Cook chili about 30 minutes or until all flavors come together.

Meanwhile, cook up the pasta according to the box directions and grate cheese. Drain pasta, serve over the chili and top with cheese.


No comments: