Wednesday, December 17, 2008
The Feast of Seven Fish: Menu
This Jewish girl thinks Christmas Eve is magical. When I was young we spent every Christmas Eve with family-friends. For years we went to our friends' who lived down the block. They are Italian and always made a feast of fish - from Linguine and Clam Sauce and Sauteed Flounder in lemon and butter to Scungilli Fra Diavolo. It was wonderful to walk in and smell all that and see festive lights, a gorgeous tree and tons of people. There were gifts for me and my sisters and there was Egg Nog (and non-alcoholic Egg Nog for us!) and my mother always made the same three desserts - an amazing Bouche de Noel, Tri-Color Italian cookies, and delicate fried-battered "Rosettes" dusted with powdered sugar.
Later when we were older, we went to another family-friend's house for the Eve and had lasagna, colossal shrimp cocktail and tons of champagne...it was another gorgeous night with loads of people and mounds of food.
I knew Christmas Eve was not my holiday but being part of these people's lives for the night always made me think it was a magical and romantic night.
I hope my own children will begin to see the night as I do and will revel in the friends and family who join us. For now, I know that my husband and I are building memories for them and enjoying the night ourselves, along the way.
Here is what I plan to serve this Christmas Eve. The recipes will appear in later posts.
Christmas Eve 2008 - A Feast of Seven Fish
* Raspberry Stoli with Cranberry and 7Up
* Bailey's on the Rocks
* Dewars on the Rocks
* Gin and Tonic
* Shrimp Cocktail
* Platter of Italian Meats, Cheeses, Marinated Mushrooms, Artichokes and Olives
* White Bean Puree with Truffle Oil on Mini Toasts (http://meredithsfoodforlife.blogspot.com/2008/12/white-bean-puree-recipe.html)
* Mini Potato Latkes
* Asiago and Grape Skewers (http://meredithsfoodforlife.blogspot.com/2008/12/asiago-and-grapes-assembly-required.html)
* Broiled Scallops wrapped in Proscuitto (http://meredithsfoodforlife.blogspot.com/2008/12/scallops-wrapped-in-prosciutto-recipe.html)
* Mozzarella di Bufala with Tomato Slices and Spicy Peppers (http://meredithsfoodforlife.blogspot.com/2008/11/mozzarella-di-bufala-recipe.html)
* Fried Calamari with Marinara Sauce (http://meredithsfoodforlife.blogspot.com/2008/12/sauces-recipe.html)
* Baked Clams
* Crusty Bread
* Lemon Crab Salad with Avacado and Grapefruit served over Greens (http://meredithsfoodforlife.blogspot.com/2008/12/lemon-crab-salad-recipe.html)
* Steamed Mussels Provencal
* Crusty Bread
* Penne a la Vodka (http://meredithsfoodforlife.blogspot.com/2008/12/sauces-recipe.html)
* Crusty Bread
* Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes, Feta, and Ouzo
* Baked Salmon with Tarragon and Fennel Butter (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Baked-Salmon-with-Tarragon-and-Fennel-Seed-Butter-103251)
* Herb-buttered Orzo
Cheese and Fruit Course
* Snowball Coconut Cake (http://meredithsfoodforlife.blogspot.com/2008/12/snowball-coconut-cake-recipe.html)
* Peppermint Bark (http://meredithsfoodforlife.blogspot.com/2008/11/barked-up-right-tree-recipe.html)
* Cannoli Cake
* Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
* Vanilla Ice Cream
* Warm Mixed Berry Crisp