Search This Blog

Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Sweet Valentine: Recipe


My husband was great - he announced days ago that he would get lobsters for dinner for Valentine's Day. That was a perfect idea, I said. Needless to say he spent nearly 2 hours at the lobster farm with all the other people who had the same "perfect" idea. See at this place, they actually steam them for you! So when my husband arrived through the door with our very large lobsters and shrimp cocktail, chowder, crab cakes and fish sticks for the kids, all I had to do was open a bottle of champagne, corral the kids, and eat! Now that's what I call perfect. Well done, honey!

So for a command performance, I tried hard to think of what would be as simple to make for dessert but that would still offer a thrill. I thought of making ice cream - an easy thing to do but I'm sure I'm not alone with this thought...Valentine's Day is for chocolate?? So I thought I'd make truffles but I realized throughout the week that I didn't have enough chocolate to make more than 6 and I couldn't get to the store before the weekend - so not enough time to make them. Voila! I came up with chocolate covered strawberries. Now that's a treat! And you don't feel quite so gluttonous when you eat 4 as we did!

These looked great and you could always melt some dark chocolate and drizzle it onto the white...a great party dessert because they're so easy and look expensive. Be sure to get the really big strawberries!

Chocolate Covered Strawberries
15 extra large strawberries, green tops left intact
5 oz. excellent quality white chocolate

Wash and dry the berries. In a microwave safe bowl, break the chocolate into small pieces and heat for 1 minute, 30 seconds. Remove and stir rapidly until the chocolate is smooth.

Line a flat surface with a large piece of parchment paper and dip the berry 90% into the chocolate and lightly roll from side to side to ensure even coating. Gently pick it up and hold it in the air for 5 seconds (at a 45 degree angle) with the tip of the berry up. Place onto the paper and repeat. Allow chocolate to sit and harden about 4 hours.


No comments: