Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Egg McMuffin Inspired: Recipe

Pregnancy has never given me traditional cravings - nothing weird like peanut butter and pickles or ice cream and cucumbers. I sort of feel cheated by that! However, I do get the desire to cook and create and to find something new so maybe that in itself is a craving? Ahh, who knows!

What I do know is that this morning I work up wanting bacon and eggs but the simple dish just wouldn't do - I eat an egg and toast nearly every morning for breakfast - so this morning had to be something different. With all the talk of scones over the past two days, I decided to make bacon and cheddar scone-like-biscuits and have my eggs alongside - kind of like something you would grab in a fast food chain. These were flaky and buttery - and they were terrific.It made me laugh when my husband said, "all you need is to slice it open and put an egg on it - then it would be just like an Egg McMuffin!"  To be honest, I am still unsure as to whether that's a compliment or a dig. But who cares, right?  They were good!

Cheddar and Bacon Biscuits
makes about 12

5 slices bacon
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick unsalted cold butter cut into small pieces
6 oz. sharp shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup heavy cream + 2 Tablespoons

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Prepare 5 pieces of bacon as you normally would (I make them in the microwave to cut down on the grease and prep time). Cool and crumble.

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder. Next add in the butter and with your hands crumble each piece until it resembles coarse meal. Add in the cheese and the bacon and mix well. Next add in the heavy cream and stir all together with your hands - forming a large ball.  Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and push together till it comes together.  Separate into two large pieces and cut each piece into 6 smaller wedges.  Place onto the baking sheet and brush each with the remaining heavy cream.

Bake for about 22 minutes - until lightly browned on top.  Cool on a wire rack slightly but serve warm.

No comments: