Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Supper: Veal Stew Recipe

Food confession: Last weekend I purchased veal stewing meat and it sat in the fridge till yesterday. I had intended to make it last Sunday but decided at the last minute that I didn't feel like dealing with the slow cooking and the annoying cries I'd get from my kids. But yesterday, given it was the first snow storm of the year - the first snow storm ever in October in the Tri-State area - I felt it was right to make it.  However, I couldn't even bring myself to open the package of meat...seven days in the fridge? Nah...into the garbage it went!  And out went the husband...to the store to buy...veal stewing meat (again).  Those of you that know me, know that this is an unfortunate regular occurrence in my house. I often buy food items that look cute or delicious and don't always cook them in time - sometimes I'm simply too lazy to bother. 

However, this weekend seemed to have been the right time - and, to boot, I actually found the right inspirational recipe to model.  Leave it to Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, my go-to guide for amazing Italian cuisine, to offer up the perfect recipe.  The book had a recipe for veal stew with white wine, cream and sage.  I switched it up slightly and came up with Veal Stew with Marsala, Rosemary and Cream (and I added some petite peas, for color).  I served the stew with yellow rice and a vegetable. 

Three out of four people in my house loved it...the fourth one refused to eat anymore than one bite. He's in the dog house right now and there will be no dessert later.  But you decide for yourself!  The meat was tender and the flavors worked so well.  The color was fantastic - a nutty brown - and the peas all popped in your mouth. The best thing is that it really didn't take long to make and I even shut off the heat at one point to go pick up my child - and I left the stew covered on the stove for almost an hour before returning the flame and warming it through.

Veal Stew with Marsala, Rosemary and Cream
1 1/2 lbs. boned veal shoulder cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. salt
several grindings of pepper
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 medium sprigs fresh Rosemary
1/4 c. Marsala wine
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 c. frozen petite peas

On a plate, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Toss the meat into the flour mixture and set aside.

In a large heavy bottomed pot, melt the butter and oil together over medium-high heat, until foamy.  Add the meat and allow it to brown well, turning at least once - about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. 

Add in the onion and saute, scraping up bits of the browned meat with a wooden spoon. Allow the onion to saute for about 5 minutes or until it's pale and translucent.  Add in the wine and allow it to bubble up, scraping up any left over browned bits. Return the meat to the pot, along with one sprig of rosemary. Cover, lower the heat and allow it to simmer about 45 minutes. 

Open the pot and mix well.  Add in the heavy cream and the second sprig of rosemary. Again, cover the pot and allow it to simmer another 30 minutes over low heat.  Meanwhile, place peas in a strainer in the sink and run boiling hot water over them for about 2 minutes. Drain well and then add them to the pot.  Mix meat and peas well together. 

You can certainly do this ahead of time...a day or two ahead of time, even. Just reheat it on the stove over a medium heat, gently stirring to ensure it's fully heated. Add in 2 tablespoons of water when reheating to thin out the sauce.

No comments: