Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Rib (Eye) Rub: Recipe


I came across a recipe for a pan-fried rib-eye steak flavored with Latin-style seasonings and served with Salsa Verde. It sounded terrific so when I got to the butcher, I picked up a couple of steaks and continued on my way. At the grocery store I purchased some chili peppers and a big bunch of cilantro for my Salsa Verde. However, when I got home I looked at the recipe and realized I had forgotten the tomatillos! So I changed course slightly - I happen to think this came out much better than the recipe I was supposed to have been making!

The steak was perfectly cooked - the flavors and the temerpature were both spot-on.  The secret to making great steaks is to salt them well and leave them at room temperature.  Provided your grill is piping hot, you'll  hear the juices sear in the moment you put the steak on the racks. Please be sure that your grill is super hot.

Grilled Cumin Rubbed Rib-Eyes with Orange-Lime Salad
4 rib-eyes - a total of about 2.25 lbs, room temperature
1 tablespoon each of: chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander and Kosher salt

Orange-Lime Salad
1 large ripe orange, sliced into 1/2" thick slices and then halved
Juice of 2 limes
2/3 cucumber, peeled and diced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 Tablespoon cilantro, minced

For the Steaks -
Mix together the spices in a small bowl and rub each steak - front and back - with a generous portion of the spices. Allow the steaks to sit at room temperature with the spice rub for 1/2 hour. Grill over direct heat for about 6-7 minutes per side.

For the Salad -
Combine all ingredients in a serving bowl - cover and leave at room temperature for an hour before serving.

No comments: