Search This Blog

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Ode to the Farmer's Market: Recipe



http://www.nyfarmersmarket.com

If you have been to a Farmer's Market, then you immediately know their value. If you have never stumbled upon one or have never made a pilgrimage to one, I strongly encourage you to do so. They are amazing sources of fresh food and unique ingredients. I love the Farmer's Market! Lynbrook's Farmer's Market is opening this weekend (tomorrow) and I may be the first person there - I wait all year for the market to return. This year I understand there will be a cheese monger and that was all I needed to hear - I might just sleep there and await their arrival.

Markets can give you prepared foods as well as fresh and the colors and varieties are stunning. The best market I have ever seen is the Green Market in NYC's Union Square and have often made a trip there just for such special things as: Chocolate Milk in glass jars from Ronnybrook Farms or the chicken cutlets and eggs from one farmer or the heirloom tomatoes that look like a rainbow.

I do love big, full, sandy bunches of basil so I can make a big batch of pesto sauce and keep my jar refilled all summer.

Pesto Sauce

2 cups of fresh, washed, basil
1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup of Romano cheese, grated
3 large garlic cloves
1 cup of pignoli nuts

Process basil, garlic, and nuts in food processor until finely chopped. In a steady stream, with the machine running, add in the oil. When fully incorporated, add in the cheeses, a pinch of salt, and some fresh pepper. Briefly process to combine. Serve over pasta (makes 2 cups, enough for 2 lbs of pasta).





No comments: