Search This Blog

Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Way it Crumbles: Recipe



A trip to the Farmer's Market yielded beautiful melons and berries. So as I drove home I kept thinking, what can I do with the berries? What can I make with them that is different from what I usually make? And then I realized that there is more than one way of looking at a challenge, isn't there? So I decided to combine both the blueberries and the cantaloupe style melon I bought. What better way to eat fruit than in a crumble with fresh whipped cream by its side?

Melon might be an odd choice, on first glance, but a really ripe melon was so perfect for this dish and my husband, the official family taster, suggested that if I told him there were peaches in there instead of melon, he might actually believe it.

Melon and Blueberry Crumble
2 cups fresh, ripe, blueberries (washed and drained)
4 cups fresh, ripe, cantaloupe, cut in 1/2" pieces
1 Tbsp. Vanilla
12 Tbsp. Butter, (1 1/2 sticks) chilled and cut in pieces
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour a 7 1/2" x 12" baking dish. Spread the melon on the bottom of the dish and the berries on top of the melon. Sprinkle vanilla over dish.

In a food processor, combine all dry ingredients in a few quick pulses. Add the butter pieces and pulse until big clumps form. With your hands, gather the crumb mixture and sprinkle on top of fruit - covering most of the fruit. If you miss a spot, it's ok!

Bake 35 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes, at least. Serve warm with whipped cream (see: http://meredithsfoodforlife.blogspot.com/2008/06/natural-and-self-made-sweetness-recipe.html)



No comments: